What are your IT depts goals/SLAs for making sure new hires have everything they need on first day?

What are your IT department's goals/SLAs for making sure that new hires have all software and hardware they need on first day, given remote workforce?

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

With a mix of BetterCloud/Okta provisioning SaaS Apps, and our MDM smart groups deploying software, it's really just a matter of shipping their machine a few days before their start date.

Open Thread in Slack

I guess that's the second part of the question. What percentage of your software are SaaS?

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Depending on the department 95-99%. 95% being developer tools.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The other 1% being security tools local to the hardware.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Maybe I should increase that number depending on "optional" local software too, like browsers, Slack app vs. SaaS access, but it's a very small percentage.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

One of our bigger goals for this upcoming year is to get us to true zero touch deployments - I’d say we’re about 95% of the way there right now. We’re also working on a zero-touch account creation onboarding - we’ve documented the amount of “clicks” it currently takes us, are meeting with stakeholders to make sure we capture all the nitty gritty for each dept (slack channels, dept specific groups) to make sure it’s up-to-date, and then will implement solves to account for the gaps. Exciting stuff!!

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

This is gonna be sort of weird, but my team has indicated a preference for one-touch deployments over zero-touch deployments…. Personally I worry about supply chain issues and being able to get devices from any provider, regardless of agreement to install whatever app for deployment.
Granted, during the discussion about zero touch deployment and one-tough deployment, we discussed the possibility of magical unicorn deployment. so we’re just a weird group 😅

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Agree. My biggest fear is the hardware/shipping process. I have opened enough DOA machines in my day to not want a new employee to have to be met with that if all possible.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

100% … that’s definitely a struggle.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

When talking about scalability, though, it’s a tossup. In some ways, not having to touch devices at all is scalable. On the other hand, if something goes wrong at scale (like, say, a global pandemic) it can be easier to have OTD so you can manoeuvre quickly. Honestly, if we ever did ZTD, I’d probably want to hinge it on OTD, just with the devices being pre-configured for a single agent that sets the rest up.

Open Thread in Slack