Texas attorney general announces ad tech antitrust probe against Google

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This should be a fun ride. Seriously do yourself a favor and watch the video in the Attorney General’s tweet in this article https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/16/22178988/google-antitrust-ad-tech-lawsuit-texas-attorney-general-paxton?fbclid=IwAR0LKwAuAe8aebwPjuHQTAB-NUAs61-cAdcJX6VNATy7oSj5fNkjFSvWXvA

This topic has been closed for comments

46 replies

Badge

well glad we solved that problem @blair

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

haha

Open Thread in Slack
Badge +1

We got there!

Open Thread in Slack
Badge +1

Solutioned

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I feel like I should start a new thread to discuss the article...

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

This thread is A+ and I need to check out some of these adblockers (I just use adblock plus for chrome, cuz I’ve used it forever?), but you should totally feel free to start actually discussing the article in the thread, @kirk.macarthur

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

you already have a captive audience 😅

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

well, for one I don't think I trust the texas AG's legal ability after his wild attack on battleground states elections and two, if one company owned all the newspaper ad space or all the billboards in the US I don't think it would "harm every person in America"

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Not to mention his own pending lawsuits. Is the real discussion here wether they agree or disagree with the accusations?

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I think when I originally heard that antitrust challenges were introduced in the US, I noted that the grounds they chose to leverage their argument against were flimsy.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Like the EU challenges were successful because they were specific and easily measured.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

more general anti-trust lawsuits are like a hail mary.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

worse than a hail mary

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

couldn't afford a tripod on eye-level? Looks like they are talking down on me at 3 am in the morning because i was too loud and woke them up.. So tired they can't even open their second eye.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Also: "taking away money from the web pages"? I mean...they chose to buy advertisement placements from Google.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

This lawsuit is never gonna succeed if that's their main talking point. Do they even understand what business Google is really (miss)handling?

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I am fully for breaking out Google Cloud from the rest of Google btw. .

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Gonna give me a better argument that they won't use your data.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It doesn’t even seem like using the data is the AGs concern, it’s that other companies can’t get their hands on it either?

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

yeah the foundation of the legal argument is just bad. I watched the Social Dilemma too lol and I do believe big tech 1) has a monopoly and 2) needs to be regulated, but I also understand that sometimes, the law is about how you position your argument and not just whether something is “wrong” or “bad”

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

see also: Iowa Supreme court case Nelson v Knight, in which a dentist fired one of his hygienists because he was too attracted to her, and she sued for gender discrimination and lost. If she had sued for wrongful termination, she might’ve won.

Open Thread in Slack