Is there a good free place to go to learn more about SysAdmin fundamentals?

• 4 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi! Is there a good free place to go to learn more or anywhere y'all would suggest? Paid, I would probably opt for pluralsight....

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

what are you looking to learn?

Open Thread in Slack

Fundamentals along the lines of SysAdmin

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

Lots of resources collected in the r/sysadmin reddit wiki. I haven't checked out all of it but the things I have used have been pretty good:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/wiki/index#wiki_i_want_to_become_a_sysadmin

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

There is also workspaceadmins.org 🤪

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

And starting in the new year workspacerecap.com 😉 But that is Google Workspace focused. I recommend read The Phoenix Project. Youtube is an excellent place to learn. I recommend:
and
and NetworkChuck is great for networking
Basically try new things, try to break and fix everything you can get your hands on even if its older hardware, take advantage of cloud trials, and just try lots of things to see what you like.
If you are really starting from scratch I highly recommend the Google IT Fundamentals course on coursera which is not that expensive and can help launch your career:

I also host a podcast exploring IT Pro's journey through tech, how they got started, and what they do now at

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

i've done a lot through coursera.org, , , and . the ones i finish quickly are ones that usually have elements of gamification or certification or vouchers for free/discounted exams.

Open Thread in Slack

Thanks everyone! This is helpful!!!

Open Thread in Slack