Anyone have any idea why someone’s name would show up incorrectly for a received email in Gmail

Badge

Anyone have any idea why someone’s name would show up incorrectly for a received email in Gmail, even though that person is not incorrect in that person’s contacts? We have a client where the CEO emailed everyone and for a few people it showed the name incorrectly, and was showing an old client of theirs. When you mouse over the name, the email is correct, but the name is wrong.

This topic has been closed for comments

24 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Contacts vs. Previous Recipients list?

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That does seem really weird though.

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

I always forget about that because I hate how sticky Google is about keeping those for me personally, so I always disable that. Let me see if I can find where they keep that now… 🤔

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This setting? https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/7345608?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en#zippy=%2Csave-contact-info-when-you-interact-with-people

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

I don’t think that’s the same, although I’ll check that. The setting referenced there specifically says it doesn’t apply to Gmail -

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hmm I will think a little more after dinner/expanse ;)

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

I just called the client to see if I can remote in and poke around more and they went home for the evening. I’ll pick it back up tomorrow. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks everyone!

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Could it be an account that was renamed or something?

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

Is the old account set as an alias on that person?

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

for sanity's sake i would do
gam config csv_output_row_filter "'name:regex:<incorrect display name>'" redirect csv ./ceo.csv all users_ns print contacts

contact could be correct in the user's primary contact group, but if the automatically save contact option is turned on, it's saved in other contacts

Open Thread in Slack

I agree with @brian.kim, I’ve been able to reproduce this in the past by putting in my own “display name” into an email TO: field in this format

Wrong Name <>

Open Thread in Slack

(though reading this thread again, I might be talking about something else also) my bad

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

@brian.kim For the win. This worked like a champ. Apparently other people had the name incorrectly saved in their contacts, and I assume that somehow it was saving it from a thread or something for other people. But I removed all contacts that were found from this command and it fixed the issue! I owe you a drink! https://better-it.slack.com/archives/C2DMQ0BGE/p1610499558345500?thread_ts=1610495227.342400&cid=C2DMQ0BGE

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

glad to hear. if that didn't turn up anything, my next guess was going to be an incorrect sendas for the ceo.

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

I thought about that but this guy is extremely tech illiterate. I don’t think he has any idea about send-as and he’s not the kind of person who would go poking around without knowing what he’s doing. But very strange.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

there was a thread about this a while back, I feel like…

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

This is the same company that I had asked other questions about, but this is a slightly different issue. Unless someone else also had a similar thread

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

same ceo? https://better-it.slack.com/archives/C2DMQ0BGE/p1608335651102600?thread_ts=1608313900.071100&cid=C2DMQ0BGE

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

That’s the one. They seem to be a magnet for weird problems

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

And after that whole thing and looking in to this one, I think it’s one employee that has the contact info wrong in her account, and that somehow that’s like “infecting” other people’s contacts and making it show elsewhere too. Since I ran your contact query @brian.kim and found that this other employee had it wrong, I then went through and used GAM to delete that record, and it seems so far to have fixed the issue. I kind of wonder if that is related to the issue before too, although I never really found a satisfying solution on the other one

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

It’s possible we had the issue internally… but the gist was that someone’s name was showing up wrong in Gmail despite it being correct in contacts, frequent contacts, and literally everywhere else we could think of. But it seemed to be isolated to just that user… no one else saw the same thing. Ultimately I believe it self-resolved? but I’m honestly not sure.

Open Thread in Slack
Badge

I hate that kind of thing. I want to know what a problem is and how we fix it.

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

that was literally all my computer problems back in the 90s..

Open Thread in Slack
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

until my CPU overheated so much that motherboard melted.. (or so i was told).

Open Thread in Slack