New Employee Onboarding Experience Survey (Remote-First)

• 22 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • 2 replies

:wave: Hi everyone, first time posting - wanted to ask if anyone has conducted an IT specific, employee onboarding survey.  I’m working on one now (will be happy to share it once done), and looking for additional ideas. 

- We aren’t hiring very many ppl, but over the last quarter there have been enough (and our first, remote-first) hires to warrant a decent sample size. 

Topics I’m currently focusing on are:

1. Equipment & Physical Tech (we issue new MacBooks to employees)
  2. Access Support and Understanding (i.e. could you effectively work on your first day, could you find answers to your questions)
  3. Remote Tools & Apps
  4. Technology Onboarding Experience (do you feel welcome, do you feel productive)

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

To clarify -- is this a survey you are sending out to the employee after they are onboarded for feedback?

Sent via Slack Thread
Userlevel 1
Badge

@mike-bc yes, it would be after they are onboarded. Specifically for me, it would be for those new hires our company brought on in Q3. 

Our PeopleOps team conducts regular reviews of the hiring experience, but it doesn’t have much in regards to IT (especially not with our remote support, which we are still very much building out and adapting).

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Got it! @jabes@brian.farrell do we do anything like this today? I remember an internal survey from a while back, not sure if we still do it. Either way, would be really cool to have a template hosted on this community that others can use 🙂

Sent via Slack Thread
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have done this informally in the past but don’t have anything on a particular cadence. I really like doing it though. I think you’re spot on for what to address, but will mull over if there’s anything else valuable to add. I think my biggest concerns are:

• did they have a good experience
• do they feel like they have what they need to know how to use the tools we provide
• did they feel prepared/supported/knew who to go to

Sent via Slack Thread
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I do think our People team surveys some of this (eg did you have the equipment needed on day 1). I can see if I can find a copy

Sent via Slack Thread
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Following this thread. It’s on my plat to develop this on coordination with HR and offer something short and sweet so we can adjust the process, end-to-end as needed.

Sent via Slack Thread
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This is how we survey new employees (we use Greenhouse to do this). There’s only 1 tech-related question, so I think we do have room to dive in a little more per @jabes’s points, but it’s a start https://screenshots.bettercloud.com/v1uxgpQe

Sent via Slack Thread

PeopleOps just started doing this, and IT is a component. We don't have our first results yet. 4 Questions, scale of 1-5
1. It was easy to set up my IT equipment needed for my first day.
2. The IT Department helped me solve any problems with equipment or applications.
3. I was able to get access to all of the applications I needed during my first week of work.
4. Additional Feedback>

Sent via Slack Thread